We’ve put together 10 fun plumbing facts for your entertainment. And, in case the infographic doesn’t load, we’ve written out what those 10 fascinating facts right here.
1. 3,000 gallons of water are wasted per year by a faucet that leaks one drop per second.
2. The word plumbing derives from the Latin word “Plumbum” which translates to “lead” because, originally, all plumbing pipes were made of lead.
3. Sir John Harrington invented the first flush toilet. Only 2 were made. One for himself and one for his godmother, Queen Elizabeth.
4. 10,000 gallons of water are wasted per year by leaks throughout the home. That’s enough to fill a swimming pool!
5. 4 gallons of water are wasted by leaving the water running while brushing your teeth.
6. 20 unnecessary flushes (or 24 gallons of water) are lost every day by a leaky toilet.
7. 40 gallons are used, on average, for a hot 20-min shower.
8. 90% of toilet clogs can be fixed using only a plunger.
9. It takes 10 gallons of hot water, on average, to run a dishwasher.
10. The average American uses 150 gallons of water per day.
Source: Cool Cats